7 Natural Ingredients to Help You Stay Healthy
"Way too cold, I promise you'll need some Theraflu..."
- Kanye West
No one enjoys getting sick. And I'm sure that being dependent on Emergen-C/Theraflu/Ricola/Airborne cocktails to beat the germs is not part of the plan either.
So if you're trying to step your immunity game up and avoid having to make that run to the drugstore to purchase every med in sight...make these seven items a part of your regular routine and you're sure to stay in better health throughout the year.
1. Garlic: It kinda gets a bad rap because the scent of it lingers on your breath after eating it, but garlic not only adds delicious flavor to meals, it boosts the immune system and helps fight off colds. It also helps detoxify the body.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: Whenever I feel a sore throat coming on, a tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water knocks the soreness right out. And you don't have to wait until you're sick! Some folks like to drink the mixture every day, but I probably do it 2-4 times a week depending on how I feel. Note: Always dilute ACV and never drink it straight - it can be tough on your teeth and stomach if you take it alone!
3. Lemon: Add a couple slices to your glass of water or your cup of tea to easily reap the benefits of lemons--they detox the body and arm you with a good amount of Vitamin C.
4. Ginger: Known for helping to fight infections, fresh ginger is great in your cup of tea or blended with your smoothie. You can also grab some ginger tea bags as a quick option.
5. Turmeric: Sprinkle a little turmeric on your food along with other seasonings of choice or indulge in some turmeric tea to take advantage of this plant's anti-inflammatory, cancer-fighting, pain-soothing powers.
6. Honey: Boasting a lengthy list of health benefits, when it comes to preventing sickness, honey is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal AND it's great for treating coughs and soothing sore throats. And bonus: if you have pollen allergies, taking local honey regularly over time is said to help reduce the severity of your symptoms.
7. Cod Liver Oil: I know, I know...you thought those days of Grandma shoving a spoonful of this stuff down your throat were the last you'd see of cod liver oil. But I now take it by choice! In addition to helping you stay strong in the fight against germs, it also has great doses of Vitamin D and keeps your hair, nails and skin looking glorious!!
So this concludes my core list of items you'll almost ALWAYS find tucked away in my cabinet. I like to credit their steady rotation in my diet for how often I DON'T get sick. And even if I do get caught up with some nasty germs, I use them to help me recover even faster. Do you use any of the items on my list? Do you have any other natural ingredients that you swear by? Share them in the comments below!